Should I buy iMac or should I wait for the iMac Pro?
06.07.2017 apleapplekot 0 Comments
At WWDC in June, Apple announced update of the line iMac. Already you can buy an iMac processors Kaby Lake, but in December 2017 in sale iMac Pro with flagship hardware. Should I wait for “professional” computer model “all in one” or is it better to buy a more affordable iMac right now?
Improved graphics vs advanced graphics
21.5-inch iMac comes with integrated graphics Intel Iris Graphics Plus 640. There are also models with Radeon Pro 555 with 2GB RAM and Radeon Pro 560 with 4 GB of memory. iMac 2017 with minimal configuration sufficient for most users. It allows you to surf the Internet, watch YouTube videos, working with photos, play not too demanding games.
The 27-inch iMac comes with dedicated graphics Radeon Pro 570 with 4 GB of memory, Radeon Pro 575 with 4 GB VRAM or Radeon Pro 580 with 8 GB of memory. Its capacity is enough for a powerful 3D games and video editing. with the release of macOS High Sierra computer will be a great platform for content creation virtual reality.
iMac Pro has graphics Radeon Pro Vega – the most advanced graphics processor ever in a Mac. All resource-intensive tasks, such as VR games and work with 3D graphics, the framerate will be much higher than conventional iMac. Vega is able to handle up to 4000 GB of data per second, which is more than enough for 3D rendering in real time, and create realistic content for virtual reality with high frame rate.
- If your needs only include web surfing and basic photo processing or video, you will have enough iMac (for those who frequently work with graphics more suitable for the 27-inch model).
- If you work with 3D modeling, develop games or plan to use virtual reality, is to wait for Dec and buy the iMac Pro.
4 cores vs 18
21.5-inch iMac in the minimum configuration comes with a 2-nuclear processor Intel Kaby Lake 2.3 GHz. Also available is a 4-core chip with a frequency up to 4.2 GHz. The 27-inch iMac equipped with 4-nuclear processor with a frequency up to 4.2 GHz and Turbo Boost to 4.5 GHz.
iMac Pro in the maximum configuration has 18-core server processor Intel Xeon processor up to 4.5 GHz and a cache of up to 42 MB, which is able to cope with the challenges. This means that a candy bar can develop complex animations in 3D with incredible performance and without any delay.
- If you have to work with software such as Logic Pro or Final Cut Pro, and you need high speed, you should choose the 27-inch iMac.
- If your work involves the processing of large files, and 4K video, creating an audio or games with heavy graphics, your choice of iMac Pro.
A large amount of RAM against the huge amount of RAM
The amount of RAM the iMac starts from 8 GB (21.5-inch models add more memory). The maximum volume is 64 GB.
iMac Pro comes with 128 GB of RAM that can be expanded up to 4 TB. That is, the lack of RAM you will not feel even when working with complex 3D projects.
- If you need several applications to work in background while you edit video in Final Cut Pro, feel free to take the iMac in 2017.
- If you have to work with large and demanding projects or to test dozens of cross-platform applications, obviously, is to wait for the iMac Pro.
32 million pixels vs 44 million
With two Thunderbolt ports 3, you get data transfer speeds up to 40 GB/s. the Latest iMac is also equipped with USB-a connector, card reader, Ethernet port and a headphone Jack. 3 Thunderbolt allows you to connect one additional monitor with a resolution of 5K or two with the 4K resolution of up to 32 million pixels.
iMac Pro is equipped with four 3 Thunderbolt ports and four USB ports-A card reader, a 3.5 mm connector and 10-Gigabit Ethernet port. Thunderbolt allows you to connect two RAID and two monitors 5K at a time, and that 44 million pixels.
- If you are going to connect several external monitors to the computer, you will only need a regular iMac.
- If 32 million pixels for some reason it seems not enough for you, or do you plan to create a new environment with a few additional monitors, up to December there is not too much.
Should I wait for the iMac Pro?
If you need the top graphics to complex 3D projects, you should wait for the iMac Pro. For the usual games and simple installation, it is enough ordinary iMac.
Memory is one of the main criteria. If you develop complex 3D games or VR applications and test all at once, the obvious choice is the iMac Pro. For normal web surfing, a few resource-intensive applications and fast video enough performance of the standard models.
To connect multiple monitors with a resolution of 5K will have to wait for the end of the year. If the external monitor you don’t need at all or you are missing one 5K-4K display or two, choose iMac.